Sunday, October 5, 2014

WebQuests cont.

Creating my own WebQuest furthered my understanding of how I will be able to use this teaching strategy as a Social Studies teacher.  I want to start by saying I am drawn to the concept of guided learning, a principal based on community learning, leadership, self-direction, and group reflection; WebQuests effectively fall into this approach to teaching.  From a teacher's perspective I see myself giving a WebQuest assignment and allowing my students to work through the process while I observe group communications and aid group research.  As much as I enjoy directing instruction and discussing content with the class in a traditional format I believe it essential to student development that they are able to work and communicate on their own as they work through problems or research.  Not only does this build research skills, problem solving skills, and interpersonal skills; these skills are not acquired through the traditional classroom format.  Lastly, granting students the responsibility to work independently, and in the case of my WebQuest they present and teach the class of their discoveries, will boost learning confidence as they successfully complete tasks.

As for the teacher, it gives us a chance to stand back and observe interactions among students and their approach to independent work.  We are still able to facilitate learning and control the classroom but we are not necessarily in the foreground.  Further, I am lead to believe that when teacher (or parents) give students this responsibility they will appreciate the opportunity and meet expectations if instruction are thorough and expectations clearly stated.  My goal as an educator goes beyond instruction and assessment; I want to give them useful and lasting skills.  Education is not effective if the student does not come away with skills that they can apply to continuing their education and/or their career.  In closing, I will be using WebQuests often in my classroom.

Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment